Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5 is currently available for Windows as well as for Mac OSX too. This will be a great help to update iPhone 3GS and 3G baseband to 06.15.00. This is essential to unlock the iPhone with Ultrsn0w 1.2.
Now, iPhone Dev Team released unlock for baseband 06.15.00 from iPad and this is much higher version baseband for iPhone. In fact, this is the only available procedure to unlock iPhone 3GS and 3G on any of the existing baseband. For this, first upgrade it to bb 06.15.00 and then unlock it with the help of Ultrasn0w.
Outcome of Updating to 06.15.00:
1. This approach will make your iPhone warranty null and void. Also, there will be no chance come down from the upgraded baseband of 06.15.00. Remember that this upgraded baseband cannot be hidden from the Apple.
2. Your iPhone need to remainsdown in the 05.xx sequences and you will not be having a chance to update future baseband that comes with critical fix officially or unofficially.
3. Your iPhone cannot restore to stockfirmware. If needed this stockfirmware, then you need to restore it to custom IPSW, which is not possible as the iPhone already unlocked successfully.
Tethered Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS New Bootrom:
Now, it is esntial for iPhone 3GS (New Bootrom) users to keep up on iOS 4.1 as the new iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak using Redsn0w is currently tethered. Due to this tethering, whenever you reboot your system or intended to use SSH or other jailbreak apps, this will demand a run for Redsn0w with the ‘just boot tethered now’ option.
Tips before the Update:
• Keep all the needed files for the process over the desktop.
• Always try to run the Redsn0w in ADMINISTRATOR MODE only in Windows.
• It is suggested using XP COMPATIBILITY MODE if any problem persists with Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta5.
• Always keep the Redsn0w pointed to iPhone Firmware and not to iPad 3.2.2 FW. Failing this would result into stuck in reboot.
Step-By-Step Procedure of Update:
• Download Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5, iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1 IPSW 9Stock FW).
• Start Redsn0w 0.9.6b5 and point it to either iOS 4.2.1 or iOS 4.1 IPSW.
• Let Redsn0w recognize the IPSW and prepare jailbreak data through patching the kernel. Redsn0w will fail to recognize the IPSW, if it pointed to the wrong version.
• Now, select ‘INSTALL iPad baseband’ checkbox.
• Read and understand the messages that are popping up throughout the process.
• Now, connect the iPhone to the computer and then turn it off. Now, click NEXT.
• Keep the iPhone in DFU mode through following the instructions depicted over the screen. For this, hold down the POWER/SLEEP button for three seconds. Now, hold the HOME button without releasing the POWER button for ten seconds. Now, release the POWER button keeping on hold the HOME button for fifteen seconds.
• Now, let the Redsn0w upload jailbreak data to the iPhone and finish the jailbreak cum baseband upgrade process. The entire process will take few minutes as the Redsn0w version uses Apple server to update the bb to 06.15.00.
Now, the entire process is over and your iPhone 3Gs or 3G is successfully upgraded to 06.15.00 baseband with the help of Redsn0w 0.9.6 Beta 5.