A lot of talks have stated about the comparison of the recently launched Motorola Xoom and the Apple iPad. It is easy to take a side if you are prejudiced. Here are some of the reasons why Apple iPad is a better choice.
– The Apple iPad has a much better display. It has wider viewing angle and can be read in sunlight. Motorola Xoom has lower nits ( a Unit to measure brightness) and is less glossy. As Anandtech puts it – “In practice the lower contrast ratio of Motorola Xoom makes it completely unusable in daylight. If you can shadow the screen with your head it’s less of a problem but Xoom is still a pain to use outdoors in the daylight particularly if you’re staring at a dark colored background. Web pages and the email apps are easier thanks to their white background.“
– There are very few apps available for Xoom – as PC world points out – Speaking of software, the iPad has more than 50,000 apps specifically for the tablet. The Xoom will have few, if any, at launch
– ibtimes points out that – iPad has price advantage- Motorola Xoom is priced at $799 compared to Apple iPad which starts from just $499. Of the six iPad models being offered only the 64 GB Wi-Fi version is priced higher than the Xoom at $829. Other tablets like Notion Ink Adam, another android tablet, has a price range of $375.33 to $549.99. Apple can probably get away with selling a higher-priced product, but Motorola which has yet to make its mark in the tablet market and may not be able to command a premium as Apple has hsitorically done.
– The iPad user interface is very simple and many newbies can easily make their way through the controls. But the Android Honeycomb centric Xoom has many widgets and features which might drive some users to ask their geeky friends to help. If you are not aware of how to use many functions you can get lost.
– With iPad you can wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos to an Apple TV and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express. No such facility exists with Xoom.